Every second of the day these days, you get information hurled at your head. Advertisements, emails, social media posts, outdoor advertising... you can't escape it anymore.
As a business, how do you make sure your message stands out and that your message captivates further reading? A very difficult task! We reveal below some techniques and tricks that work!
We reveal here 3 writing tips that work:
Make your text scannable
5 seconds. This is the time that makes your text succeed or fail. In fact, within the 5 seconds, the reader decides whether he wants to read on or not.
Making a text scannable can be done in many different ways. Just using endless sentences with commas is not one of them. On the contrary, it has become an absolute no go and is quickly associated with the term 'boring'.
Some ways that do work are:
- Emojis 😉
- Bold words
- Bullet points
- Numbers (not written out in full)
- Short paragraphs
- White space
- Text highlights
- Capital letters
These components make important elements stand out more quickly. As a result, the reader is more likely to be intrigued to read on.
Choose the right photo
A good balance between text and photos is crucial, but how do you choose the perfect photo?
Ask yourself the following questions when selecting an appropriate image:
- Does the photo consist of warm, bright colours?
- Is the picture sharp?
- Does the picture contain people?
- Does the photo fit the content?
- Does the photo generate recognition or interest from your target audience?
- Is the photo personal?
So selecting the right photo requires some thought. Also consider, for example, the viewing direction of the person in the photo . A person looking at your text automatically ensures that the reader will also look at your text. On the cover of a magazine or brochure, it is best to do the opposite. Let the person look at the reader, this convinces more to buy the magazine in question because you feel addressed.
Be relevant to your target audience
Writing relevant and interesting content, how exactly do you do that?
Journalists very often use the ABABA formula:
- Topical: which important days are coming up soon? A topical calendar can help you with this.
- Importance: famous names automatically get more attention, especially in your title!
- Divergent: deliver a message that is out of the ordinary or raises questions.
- Interest: which topics are currently causing a lot of fuss or getting a lot of attention. For this, use a tool such as Google Trends
- Authority: use quotes from experts or have the case manager speak where he shares his expertise.
Choosing a good title is also part of this. Questions, numbers and words like 'free', 'extra' and 'new' work very well here!
One last trick: sit down with your sales team to better understand your target audience. Collaborating with the sales team on content writing is therefore a must.
By applying these 3 writing tips, you can ensure that your text stands out and grabs the reader's attention. By putting the reader first and making the text readable, clear and interesting, you can ensure that your message comes across effectively. Try these tips yourself and discover how your writing skills improve!